Amherst College War Materials Collection
Scope and Contents
The War Materials Collection records the involvement of Amherst College, its students, staff and alumni in the Civil War, World War I, World War II, and post-World War II conflicts such as the Korean and Vietnam wars. Documents include letters, bulletins, pamphlets, newspaper clippings and lists of alumni who served in the wars.
- Amherst College (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to the War Materials Collection for research use. Particularly fragile items are restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from the collection should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
4 Linear feet (4 records storage boxes)
Language of Materials
An artificial collection consisting mainly of publications, ephemera and correspondence related to Amherst College's involvement in various United States wars, including the Civil War, Mexican War, Spanish-American War, World Wars I and II, Korean War and the Vietnam War.
This collection is organized into seven series:
- Series 1: General
- Series 2: Civil War
- Series 3: World War I
- Series 4: World War II
- Series 5: Post-World War II
- Series 6: Korean War
- Series 7: Vietnam War
4 records cartons (4 linear ft.)
Processed in 1999. Reprocesed 2006.
- Amherst College -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections Repository
Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
61 Quadrangle Drive
Amherst MA 01002-5000