Skip to main content

Mount Pleasant Classical Institution and Mount Pleasant Institute Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MA.00061

Scope and Contents

The collection consists chiefly of printed catalogues, 1828-1903 (with gaps), general information about the schools, and printed ephemera, including examination and an exhibition circulars. The catalogues generally contain complete lists of students and a description of the curriculum. One manuscript letter from Joel Newton to former student F. Burges (1831).

Dates

  • 1828-1903

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There is no restriction on access to the Mount Pleasant Classical Institution and Mount Pleasant Institute Collection for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.

Biographical / Historical

The Mount Pleasant Classical Institution opened in 1827 as a school for boys aged 4 through 16. It closed five years later in 1832. The original prospectus was issued by the school's founders, Chauncey Colton and Francis Fellowes, members of the Amherst College Class of 1826, both of whom served as principals. Henry Ward Beecher, Amherst College Class of 1834, is perhaps the most famous graduate. The school and its program are described in detail in the History of the Town of Amherst compiled by Carpenter and Morehouse (pp. 271-273).

A second school in the same location was founded in 1846 by Rev. John A. Nash, Amherst College Class of 1824, as the "Mount Pleasant Boarding School for Boys," for boys between the ages of 8 and 16. The name was changed in 1851-52 to "Mount Pleasant Boarding School," and again in 1853/54 to "Mount Pleasant Institute," a title that it retained at least through 1902-03, when it relocated to Hadley, Massachusetts. John A. Nash served as principal until 1854, when he was appointed professor of scientific agriculture at Amherst College. He was succeeded at Mount Pleasant Institute by his son, Henry C. Nash (AC 1851) and grandson, William K. Nash (AC 1883).

Extent

0.25 Linear feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Mount Pleasant Classical Institution opened in 1827 as a school for boys aged 4 through 16. It closed five years later in 1832. A second school on the same site was founded by Rev. John A. Nash in 1846 as The Mount Pleasant Boarding School for Boys; after several name changes, it closed in the early 20th century. Collection consists chiefly of printed catalogues and ephemera; catalogues include complete lists of students and description of curriculum.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged in two series:

  1. Series 1: Mount Pleasant Classical Institution
  2. Series 2: Mount Pleasant Institute
Status
Completed
Author
Elaine D. Trehub. Revised by Mike Kelly, April 2016.
Date
2016
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Sponsor
Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Repository Details

Part of the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
61 Quadrangle Drive
Amherst MA 01002-5000
(413) 542-2299