Amherst College Clubs and Societies Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of official records and associated material of approximately ninety clubs and organizations (excluding fraternities) affiliated with Amherst College from its founding in 1821 to the present time. Included are founding records, minutes, financial records, membership lists, clippings, publications, correspondence, reports, photographs and other materials.
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to the Clubs and Societies Collection for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights prior to publication.
22.5 Linear feet (12 records storage boxes, 18 archives boxes, 7 half archives boxes, 2 flat boxes)
Language of Materials
Official records and associated material of Amherst student organizations. Includes founding records, minutes, financial records, membership lists, clippings, publications, correspondence, reports, photographs and other materials.
This collection is organized into twenty-four series:
- Series 1: Miscellaneous Organizations
- Series 2: Academia
- Series 3: Alexandrian Society I
- Series 4: Alexandrian Society II
- Series 5: Amherst College Y.M.C.A.
- Series 6: Anti-Secret Society
- Series 7: Athenian Society I
- Series 8: Athenian Soceity II
- Series 9: Commons Club
- Series 10: Debating Society
- Series 11: Eclectic
- Series 11a: Gay and Lesbian Alumni (GALA)
- Series 12: Hitchcock Society of Inquiry
- Series 13: Lord Jeff Club
- Series 14: Mountain Club
- Series 15: Outing Club
- Series 16: Phi Beta Kappa
- Series 17: Scarab
- Series 18: Science Club
- Series 19: Sigma Xi
- Series 20: Ski Club
- Series 21: Social Union I
- Series 22: Social Union II
- Series 23: Society of Natural History
- Series 24: Sphinx
The organizations in Series 1 are listed in alphabetical order. Those in Series 2 through 24 are arranged alphabetically by name. Material within a series is arranged by type of material.
In October 2021, material relating to the Asian Students Association was removed from the Amherst College Clubs and Societies Collection to form a part of the newly created Asian Students Association Records.
- Amherst College -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Amherst College -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student activities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Alison Campbell, Peter Weis, Peter Nelson.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Original encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections Repository
Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
61 Quadrangle Drive
Amherst MA 01002-5000