Charles H. Morgan Papers on Greece
Scope and Contents
The collection consists chiefly of Morgan's notes, drafts and illustrations for his book The Byzantine Pottery, a study of pottery found in Corinth, which was published by Harvard University Press for the American School of Classical studies at Athens in 1942. The book was based on the original work of Dr. Frederick O. Waage, which Morgan took over in 1935.
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to the Morgan Papers for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from the Papers should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
Born in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1902, Charles Hill Morgan and earned his bachelor's, master's, and PhD from Harvard University. He left Harvard in 1928 to attend the American School of Classical Studies in Athens. After lecturing at Bryn Mawr College from 1929 to 1930, Morgan accepted an assistant professorship at Amherst and the opportunity to direct the construction of the new Mead Art Museum and the acquisition of its collection.
Morgan served as director of the Mead Art Museum from its opening in 1949 to his retirement in 1969. The Amherst Fine Arts department grew during his career from one to eight faculty members. He also worked with Trinity College to establish and organize the Austin Center of Art in 1965-1966.
Morgan maintained a long-standing relationship with the American School of Classical Studies in Athens. He returned to the school in 1933 and 1952 as a professor and research fellow. Between 1936 and 1938 he directed both the school and the excavation of the Agora (a marketplace) of ancient Corinth. In 1935 he took over the work of Dr. Frederick O. Waage to write a book, The Byzantine Pottery, a study of pottery found in Corinth; this book was published by Harvard University Press for the American School of Classical studies at Athens in 1942.
Morgan's articles were published in the American Journal of Archaeology, the Hesperia, and The Archaelogike Ephemeris and numerous other professional journals. In addition to his work on Greek pottery, Morgan published biographies of George Belows (1965) and Michelangelo (1960) and a book on the development of the Art Collection at Amherst College (1972).
Morgan served as an Air Intelligence officer in the European Theatre from 1942 to 1945. He was awarded the Allied Legion of Merit Award and the Belgian Croix de Guerre.
In 1928 Morgan married Rev. Janet Barton, who later became deacon at Grace Episcopal Church. They had a son and two daughters, George S.B. Morgan, Audrey Leaf, and Prudence Eppich.
1.6 Linear feet (1 records storage box, 1 archives box, 1 wrapped package)
Language of Materials
Contain notes, drafts and illustrations for Morgan's book "The Byzantine Pottery," a study of pottery found in Corinth, published in 1942.
This collection is organized into three series:
- Series 1: Typescripts
- Series 2: Notes and early drafts
- Series 3: Illustrations
- Pottery -- Greece Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pottery, Byzantine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pottery, Greek Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Peter Nelson
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections Repository
Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
61 Quadrangle Drive
Amherst MA 01002-5000