William R. Throckmorton (AC 1941) Research Materials on Amherst College Alumni in World War II
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, military records and other research materials compiled by William Throckmorton for the preparation of his books Lord Jeff's Unsung Heroes and They Also Served, which document the military activities of Amherst College alumni in World War II through military records, published accounts and personal narratives. The collection also includes various manuscript and typescript drafts.
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to this collection for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
William R. Throckmorton was born in Wichita, Kansas in 1919 and graduated from Amherst College in the Class of 1941. He is the author of Lord Jeff's Unsung Heroes: A Story of the Bravery and Heroism by the Young Men of Amherst College in the Second World War (self-published, 1996) and They Also Served: Stories by Amherst College Men Who Served their Country in WWII (self-published; vol. 1, 2001; vol. 2, 2002).
1.5 Linear feet (1 records storage box, 1 archives box)
Language of Materials
Correspondence, military records and other research materials compiled by William Throckmorton for the preparation of his books documenting the military activities of Amherst College alumni during World War II. Includes various manuscript and typescript drafts.
This collection is organized into two series:
- Series 1: Research Materials for Lord Jeff's Unsung Heroes, 1994-1995
- Series 2: Research Materials for They Also Served, 1999
- Amherst College -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Amherst College -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Throckmorton, William Robert, 1919-2005 (AC 1941)
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Registers of dead Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.