Charles H. Morgan Papers on Michelangelo
Scope and Contents
These papers contain manuscript and typescript drafts of Professor Charles H. Morgan's book, The Life of Michelangelo, published in 1960. The files have been left in their original order. The exact order of the manuscript drafts has not been clearly determined. The papers also include correspondence related to the publication of the book, as well as a set of the illustrative plates.
- Creation: circa 1960
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to the Morgan Papers on Michelangelo for research use. Particularly fragile items are restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from the Papers should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
Born in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1902, Morgan and earned his bachelor's, master's, and PhD from Harvard. Morgan left Harvard in 1928 to attend the American School of Classical Studies in Athens. After lecturing at Bryn Mawr College from 1929-1930, Morgan accepted an assistant professorship at Amherst and the opportunity to direct the construction of the new Mead Art Museum and the acquisition of its collection.
Morgan served as director of the Mead Art Museum from its opening in 1949 to his retirement in 1969. The Amherst Fine Arts department grew during his career from one to eight faculty members. He also worked with Trinity College to establish and organize the Austin Center of Art in 1965-66.
Morgan's love of classical art was also expressed in his long-standing relationship with the American School of Classical Studies in Athens. He returned to the school in 1933 and 1952 as a professor and research fellow. Between 1936 and 1938 he directed both the school and the excavation of the Agora (a marketplace) of ancient Corinth.
Morgan served as an Air Intelligence officer in the European Theatre from 1942 to 1945. He was awarded the Allied Legion of Merit Award and the Belgian Croix de Guerre.
Morgan's articles were published in the American Journal of Archaeology, the Hesperia, and The Archaelogike Ephemeris and numerous other professional journals. In addition to his work on Bellows, Morgan published a biography of Michelangelo (1960) and a book on the development of the Art Collection at Amherst College.
In 1928 he married Rev. Janet Barton, who later became deacon at Grace Episcopal Church. They had a son and two daughters, George S.B. Morgan, Audrey Leaf, and Prudence Eppich.
0.5 Linear feet (1 archives box)
Language of Materials
Papers contain manuscript and typescript drafts of Professor Charles H. Morgan's book, The Life of Michelangelo, published in 1960.
The files have been left in their original order.
- Sarah Sorscher, Peter Nelson.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.