Edwin Charles Rozwenc (AC 1937) Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists chiefly of professional correspondence, manuscripts, course materials and research materials documenting Rozwenc's career as a historian, editor, and teacher of American Studies at Amherst College, 1946-1974.
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to the Rozwenc Papers for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from Rozwenc Papers should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
Edwin Charles Rozwenc was born on May 21, 1915 in Dover, New Jersey. He graduated from Amherst College in the Class of 1937 and obtaining his M.A. (1938) and Ph.D. (1941) from Columbia University. After teaching history at Clark University from 1942 to 1946, Rozwenc returned to Amherst as a professor of History. During his professorship, which began in 1946 and continued until his death in 1974, Rozwenc wrote or edited many books on American history and served as chairman of the Department of American Studies at Amherst College. He is the author of Cooperatives Come to America (1941), Slavery as a Cause of the Civil War (1949), Reconstruction in the South (1952), The New Deal (1958), The Cause of the American Civil War (1961), Ideology and Power in the Age of Jackson (1964), and The People Make a Nation (1971).
26.2 Linear feet (53 archives boxes)
Language of Materials
Historian. Contains professional correspondence, manuscripts, course materials and research materials documenting his career.
This collection is organized into four series:
- Series 1: Professional Correspondence
- Series 2: Course Material
- Series 3: Manuscripts of Books Written or Edited by Rozwenc
- Series 4: Miscellaneous
- Amherst College -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Amherst College -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Examinations Subject Source: Library Of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- History -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lecture notes Subject Source: Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rozwenc, Edwin C. (Edwin Charles), 1915-1974 (AC 1937)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.