William Crary Brownell (AC 1871) Papers
- 1867 - 1936
- Majority of material found within 1870 - 1927
Conditions Governing Access
In general, there is no restriction on access to the William Crary Brownell (AC 1871) Papers. Particular items may be restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish materials should be directed to the Archivist of the College. Materials relating to Appreciation for the Office in Box 9, folders 6-8 require written permission from Scribner=s for any form of publication. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
William Crary Brownell was born to Isaac and Lucia Brown Brownell on August 30, 1851 in New York City. He prepared for college at Charles Institute, Newport, Rhode Island and was graduated from Amherst College in 1871. After graduation he joined the staff of the New York World, 1871-1879, first as a reporter and then as city editor. After that, he worked for The Nation in New York City from 1879 to 1881.
Brownell traveled to Europe in 1881 and spent most of his time there in Paris. Returning to America in 1884, he worked for the Philadelphia Press until 1888, and for Charles Scribner's Sons between 1888 and 1926.
In January of 1878, Brownell married Virginia S. Swinburne, who died in 1911. He married his second wife, Gertrude Hall, in 1921. Brownell died on July 23, 1928 in Williamstown, Massachusetts.
5.5 Linear feet (11 archives boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is organized into nine series:
- Series 1: Correspondence
- Series 2: General
- Series 3: Notebooks
- Series 4: Notes
- Series 5: Clippings
- Series 6: Scribner's
- Series 7: Published Works
- Series 8: Manuscript Drafts of Articles
- Series 9: Photographs
- Finding Aid:
- 1998 April - Revised
- Edited by:
- Daria D'Arienzo, Archivist of the College
- Listed by:
- Carol Trabulsi, Senior Archives Associate
- Amherst College -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Amherst College -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Brownell, Gertrude Hall, 1863-1961
- Brownell, Virginia S.
- Brownell, W. C. (William Crary), 1851-1928 (AC 1871)
- Charles Scribner's Sons
- Journalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Daria D'Arienzo, Carol Trabulsi
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.