James Hayden Tufts (AC 1884) Papers
Philosopher. Collection includes genealogical notes on Tufts, Warren and Chapin families; family correspondence; and articles by Tufts.
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to the Tufts Papers for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from James Hayden Tufts (AC 1884) Papers should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
James Hayden Tufts was born in Monson, Masachusetts on July 9, 1862 and prepared for college at Monson Academy under his father. He graduated from Amherst College in 1884 and took a position as principal of Westport, Connecticut High School for one year. After that he taught mathematics at Amherst College for two years then became a student again at Yale University, 1887-1889. He was instructor in philosophy at the University of Michigan, 1889-1891, and then attended the Universities of Berlin and Freiburg, Germany, receiving his Ph.D. from the latter in 1892. From there he went to the University of Chicago to teach philosophy, where he remained for the rest of his career, holding many important positions including that of acting president. He died on August 5, 1942 at Berkeley, California.
1.5 Linear feet (3 archives boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is organized into three series:
- Series 1: Family Papers and Correspondence
- Series 2: Genealogical Material Collected by James Hayden Tufts
- Series 3: Published Articles by James Hayden Tufts
- Prepared for Web:
- 2003 June
- Graham Leach-Krouse 05, Student Encoding Assistant
- Addams, Jane, 1860-1935
- Amherst College -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Burnet, John, 1863-1928
- Calkins, Mary Whiton, 1863-1930
- Chapin family
- Dewey, John, 1859-1952
- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- James, William, 1842-1910
- Royce, Josiah, 1855-1916
- Russell, Bertrand, 1872-1970
- Tufts family
- Tufts, James Hayden, 1862-1942 (AC 1884)
- Tufts, James, 1764-1841
- Tufts, James, 1812-1901
- University of Chicago
- Warren family
- Graham Leach-Krouse
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.