Catalogue of the Gilbert Museum of Indian Relics
Scope and Contents
Bound manuscript volumes, loose manuscript notes, and published material describing specimens of Native American relics in the Gilbert Museum of Indian Relics at Amherst College, including the original collection of Dr. Edward Hitchcock (AC 1849) and later additions from other sources, including the collection of D. S. Kellogg. Supplementary materials include two printed catalogs of the museum, 1903-1904.
- Creation: 1903-2015
- Amherst College. Gilbert Museum (Organization)
- United States. Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (Author, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is not currently available for use.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from the collection should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
The Gilbert Museum of Indian Relics refers to a collection of bone, stone and pottery implements believed to have been created and used by Native Americans in the New England region. In 1853, Professor Edward Hitchcock, Jr. (AC 1849) presented his collection of 721 specimens of Connecticut Valley Indian relics to Amherst College. In 1857 it was increased to 1,100 specimens. This collection formed the foundation of the Gilbert Museum of Indian Relics, named for George Henry Gilbert (1806-1869) of Ware, Massachusetts, a generous benefactor of the College. Hitchcock continued to curate the museum together with two other scientific collections in the Appleton Cabinet (later known as Appleton Hall), the Hitchcock Ichnological Cabinet and the Adams Zoological Museum. In 1903 the collection numbered nearly 3,000 specimens.
Many of the specimens in the collection are still held by Amherst College; however, the collection is closed to research pending review under the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA).
1.5 Linear feet (3 archive boxes)
Language of Materials
Bound manuscript volumes, loose manuscript notes, and published material describing specimens of Native American relics that once formed the Gilbert Museum of Indian Relics at Amherst College. Includes the original collection descriptions of Dr. Edward Hitchcock (AC 1849) and later additions from other sources, including the collection of D. S. Kellogg. Supplementary materials include two printed catalogs of the museum, 1903-1904, articles by F. B. Loomis.
This collection is organized into three series:
- Series 1: Gilbert Museum Catalogue
- Series 2: D. S. Kellogg Collection
- Series 3: Supplementary Material
- Finding aid revised by Mike Kelly.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.