Alexander Meiklejohn Papers
Scope and Contents
The Meiklejohn Papers consist mainly of correspondence between Meiklejohn and other educators during his term as President of Amherst College, as well as records created during his presidency.
- Majority of material found within 1912-1923
- Meiklejohn, Alexander, 1872-1964 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
In general, there is no restriction on access to the Alexander Meiklejohn Papers for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes. Materials from other institutions which are found in the Meiklejohn Papers cannot be duplicated, as indicated.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish materials should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
Alexander Meiklejohn was born in England in 1872, and brought to the United States in 1880 at the age of eight. He was educated in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and graduated from Brown University in 1893. He took his M.A. at Brown and in 1897, received his doctorate in philosophy from Cornell University. He taught philosophy and metaphysics at Brown and was dean from 1901 to 1912. He became president of Amherst College in 1912 and served until 1924. After Amherst he went to the University of Wisconsin to teach philosophy and while there, established an experimental college. He retired in 1938. Meiklejohn died in 1964 at the age of 92.
5.5 Linear feet (11 archives boxes)
Language of Materials
Philosopher and former president of Amherst College. Papers contain correspondence with other educators and records created during his presidency.
This collection is organized into nine series:
- Series 1: General Correspondence
- Series 2: Faculty Affairs
- Series 3: Speeches and Writings
- Series 4: Student Activities
- Series 5: Administration Materials
- Series 6: Curriculum
- Series 7: Letters of Congratulation on Acceptance of Presidency of Amherst College
- Series 8: Miscellaneous
- Series 9: Letters Concerning Meiklejohn's Resignation
- Agard, Walter R. (Walter Raymond), 1894-1978 (AC 1915)
- Amherst College -- Curricula Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Amherst College -- Presidents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Andrews, Elisha Benjamin, 1844-1917
- Education, Higher Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Educational innovations -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Educators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Faunce, William Herbert Perry, 1859-1930
- Freedom of Speech Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- King, Stanley, 1883-1951 (AC 1903)
- Meiklejohn, Alexander, 1872-1964
- Morrow, Dwight W. (Dwight Whitney), 1873-1931 (AC 1895)
- Plimpton, George A. (George Arthur), 1855-1936 (AC 1876)
- Social Ethics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Daria D'Arienzo, Carol Trabulsi Moore
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections Repository
Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
61 Quadrangle Drive
Amherst MA 01002-5000