George D. Olds Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers contain course notes in mathematics, physics, constitutional law and other subjects taken by Olds as a student at the universities of Göttingen, Heidelberg and Berlin, Germany, 1879-1882; notes used for guest lectureships at German universities in 1899 and 1900; and lecture notes in mathematics used by Olds at Amherst College. The collection also includes a photograph album documenting Olds' travels in Europe, 1899-1900, and a scrapbook of political cartoons related to Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan, 1912-1915.
- circa 1870-1915
- Olds, George Daniel, 1853-1931 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to the collection for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from the collection should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
George D. Olds was born in Middleport, N.Y., on October 14, 1853. He received his A.B. (1873) and A.M. (1876) from the University of Rochester. He was professor of mathematics at the University of Rochester (1884-1891) and Amherst College (1891-1927). He served as Dean of the College from 1909 to 1922 and President of Amherst College from 1923 to 1927. Olds died on May 10, 1931.
3.5 Linear feet (3 records storage boxes, 1 archives box)
Language of Materials
Professor of mathematics and President of Amherst College. Collection includes course notes taken by Olds as a student in Germany, lecture notes for guest lectureships at German universities and for mathematics courses at Amherst College, as well as a photograph album and scrapbook.
This collection is organized into three series:
- Series 1: Student Course Notes - German Universities, 1879-1901
- Series 2: Amherst College Teaching Notes, circa 1891-1910
- Series 3: Albums, 1899-1915
- Amherst College -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Amherst College -- Presidents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lecture notes Subject Source: Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mathematics -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Olds, George Daniel, 1853-1931
- Physics -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Doris Chacon, Peter A. Nelson
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Portions of Series 1 described in German.
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections Repository
Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
61 Quadrangle Drive
Amherst MA 01002-5000