Chapin-Kiley Manuscript Collection
Scope and Contents
59 manuscript items, chiefly letters dating from 1880-1890, that were collected by Samuel Chapin (AC 1880) when he was on the editorial staff of St Nicholas Magazine. The collection was preserved and later presented to Amherst College by his friend and fellow alumnus Marcus P. Kiley (AC 1919). Correspondents include numerous American authors, poets, and educators.
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to the Chapin-Kiley Manuscript Collection for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from the Chapin-Kiley Manuscript Collection should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
0.5 Linear feet (1 archives box)
Language of Materials
Consists of 59 manuscripts, chiefly letters and dating from 1880-1890, collected by Samuel Chapin (AC 1880) and preserved by Marcus P. Kiley (AC 1919).
This collection is arranged alphabetically by correspondent.
- Abbott, Lyman, 1835-1922
- Beecher, Edward, 1803-1895
- Brooks, Phillips, 1835-1893
- Chapin, Samuel Austin, 1858-1959 (AC 1880)
- Correspondence Subject Source: Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Damrosch, Walter, 1862-1950
- Garrison, William Lloyd, 1805-1879
- Kiley, Marcus Philip, 1897-1981 (AC 1919)
- Kipling, Rudyard, 1865-1936
- Sarang Gopalakrishnan, Peter Nelson
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections Repository
Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
61 Quadrangle Drive
Amherst MA 01002-5000