Amherst College Class Albums Collection
Scope and Contents
An artificial collection made up of bound volumes of photograph and lithograph portraits of graduating classes from 1853 through 1906. The albums also include faculty portraits and college scenery in addition to candid and group shots. The format of the volumes and the reproductive technologies change over time from early volumes of salt prints and albums of albumen prints to yearbook-like volumes printed by offset lithography. Several albums were presented to the Amherst College library by the members of the class at the time of their graduation; the majority of the albums were donated by alumni and their descendants. Every graduating class between 1853 and 1906 is represented by at least one album except for the class of 1892 for which no class album appears to exist.
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to this collection for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Unless there is a specific Amherst College copyright involved, the burden of determining copyright status and permissions falls on the researcher. It is expected that researchers will give credit to the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections and cite sources completely so that others may refer to them easily.
35.5 Linear feet (212 volumes)
Language of Materials
Autograph, portrait, and photograph albums of graduating classes from 1853 to 1906. Series 2 includes several fraternity albums.
This collection is arranged into two series:
- Series 1: Class Albums
- Series 2: Fraternity Albums
- Finding Aid:
- 2003 June
- Prepared by:
- 2003. Graham Leach-Krouse (AC 2005), Student Encoding Assistant
- Edited by:
- 2003. Peter A. Nelson, Assistant Archivist
- Prepared for Web by:
- 2003, Graham Leach-Krouse (AC 2005), Student Encoding Assistant
- Revised by:
- 2019. Mike Kelly, Head of Archives & Special Collections
- Edited by:
- 2020. Rachel Jirka, College Archivist
- Amherst College -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Autograph albums Subject Source: Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Finding aid prepared by Graham Leach-Krouse and Peter Nelson. Revised by Mike Kelly, March 2019.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Original Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Part of the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections Repository
Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
61 Quadrangle Drive
Amherst MA 01002-5000