Amherst College Scrapbooks Collection
Scope and Contents
The Amherst College Scrapbooks Collection includes over 140 volumes containing programs, souvenirs, photographs, newspaper clippings, college papers, letters and ephemera relating chiefly to student life at Amherst College. Most are personal scrapbooks that were kept by Amherst College undergraduates; others were kept by fraternities or College offices or organizations. A small number of personal scrapbooks contain material not related to an individual's undergraduate life.
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to this collection for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
62 Linear feet (200 volumes)
Language of Materials
Scrapbooks containing programs, souvenirs, photographs, newspaper clippings, college papers, letters and ephemera relating chiefly to student life at Amherst. Includes both personal and institutional scrapbooks.
This collection is organized into three series:
- Series 1: Personal Scrapbooks, 1834-1952
- Series 2: Institutional Scrapbooks, 1847-1967
- Series 3: Class and Reunion Scrapbooks, 1848-1983
- Amherst College -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Amherst College -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Sarang Gopalakrishnan, Peter Nelson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.