Amherst College Faculty Club Records
Scope and Contents
Minutes, treasurer's reports, bank statements, bills, and correspondence relating to the activities of the Faculty Club from 1914 to 1962.
- Creation: 1891-1977
- Faculty Club of Amherst College (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to the Amherst College Faculty Club Papers for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from the Amherst College Faculty Club Papers should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
The first meeting of the Faculty Club was held on January 14, 1914, with President Alexander Meiklejohn as the chair. At this time, the club was not named; it officially became the "Faculty Club of Amherst College" on March 3, 1914. Initially, it held its meetings in Hitchcock Hall, which stood on the site of what is now (2003) Converse Hall. Meetings normally included supper, which was arranged and cooked by a committee appointed by the club's president. In the following years, the faculty club met in Hitchcock Hall (1914-1917), Appleton Hall (1917), the Octagon (1918-1919), Morgan Library (1919-1925), Noah Webster Library (from 1926 until the fire in Webster in 1939), and Sidney White House (1942-). The Faculty Club merged with Amherst College Women in 1984 to form the Amherst College Association.
2.25 Linear feet (4 archives boxes, 1 half archives box)
Language of Materials
Minutes, treasurer's reports, bank statements, bills, and correspondence relating to the activities of the Faculty Club.
This collection is organized into two series:
- Series 1: Minutes and Other Records, 1914-1977
- Series 2: Bills, Bank Statements, Programs and Correspondence, 1891-1958
- Sarang Gopalakrishnan, Peter Nelson
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.