Reverend William James (1797-1868) Family Papers and Sermons
Scope and Contents
The Reverend William James Family Papers and Sermons collection contains correspondence and sermons documenting the family and career of William James as a Presbyterian minister in New York State. The correspondence is especially important for its documentation of the James, Seelye, and associated families.
- Creation: 1808-1888
- James, William, 1797-1868 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There is no restriction on access to the William James papers for research use. Particularly fragile items are restricted for preservation purposes. This collection is housed in off-site storage and requires advance notice before use. Please contact Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from the Papers should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Biographical / Historical
William James was born in 1797. He was a graduate of Princeton. He preached for a time at Clarkson, N.Y. and assumed the pastorate of the Brick Presbyterian Church, Rochester, N.Y., in 1826. He resigned in 1830 to go to the Third Presbyterian Church at Albany, N.Y., where he died February 16, 1868, aged 71. Rev. James was the half-brother of the theological philosopher Henry James, Sr., and uncle of the philosopher William James and novelist Henry James. His daughter, Elizabeth Tillman James, married Julius Hawley Seelye (AC 1849) in 1854.
2.5 Linear feet (5 archives boxes)
Language of Materials
Family correspondence and sermons documenting the family and career of William James as a Presbyterian minister in New York State.
This collection is organized into four series:
- Series 1: Correspondence
- Series 2: Miscellaneous
- Series 3: Sermons with Bible Locations
- Series 4: Sermon Fragments by Subject
- Third Presbyterian Church (Albany, N.Y.) (Organization)
- Seelye, Elizabeth Tillman James, 1833-1881 (Person)
- Seelye, Julius H. (Julius Hawley), 1824-1895 (AC 1849) (Person)
- Prince, William Henry, 1786-1815 (Person)
- Prince, Catherine Barber James, 1834-1890 (Person)
- James, William, 1842-1910 (Person)
- James, Marcia Lucretia Ames (Person)
- James, Henry, 1811-1882 (Person)
- James family (Family)
- Emerson, Anna H. (Seelye), 1866-1901 (Person)
- Brick Presbyterian Church (Rochester, N.Y.) (Organization)
- 1970s; revised 2002.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.