Skip to main content

Sub-series C: North College (built 1822-1823) , 1863-2003


Scope and Contents

This sub-series documents North College's role as home to generations of Amherst College students. Maintenance requests, floor plans, Henry A. King (AC 1873) Memorial House Library records, and renovation photographs record administration and management decisions, while interior shots of student rooms offer more informal encounters with the interior spaces of the building.


  • Creation: 1863-2003

Conditions Governing Access

There is no restriction on access to the collection for research use. Particularly fragile originals may be restricted for preservation purposes.

Biographical / Historical

North College construction began as the President's House was finished in early 1822. Built on the same plan as South College, North College opened by the fall of 1822. Like South College, North served as a combined dormitory, classroom, chapel and library during the first years of the college. When the third dormitory building was erected in 1827, North College was renamed Middle College, reflecting its position among the three residence halls. After the other North College burned in 1857, this building's original name was restored.

The dormitory has been entirely renovated three times—1892-1893, 1952-1953, and 2003-2004—to meet the changing needs of Amherst College and the student body. Smaller projects over the years have included everything from adding internal plumbing and steam heat to the Henry A. King (AC 1873) house library (1934-circa 1985), which is a common area today. The original central quadrangle of the campus, encircled by dormitories, is called the "First-Year Quad", and North College is one of the eight dormitories housing first-year students.


0.4 Linear feet (16 legal-size folders, 1 (13 x 18 in.) folder, 1 (4 x 6 in.) negative envelope (off-site cold storage))

Language of Materials


Related Materials in this Collection

Campus Views: College Row Campus Views: Stereographs

Other Collections Amherst College Alumni Biographical Files, Class of 1831, Whipple, Charles K. In a July 31, 1842 letter to his sister Sarah, Charles K. Whipple (AC 1831) describes his old room ("Middle College, South entry, second story, back corner", or room 23) and the changes to it in the past eleven years.

Amherst College Campus Operations Records. Accession 2003-076. North and South College Hall floor plans, 1924-1953. Off-site storage: Amherst College Depository. Map Case 1: Drawer 15: Folder 1

Amherst College Campus Operations Records. North College floor plans, 1955, 1974

Repository Details

Part of the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections Repository

Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
61 Quadrangle Drive
Amherst MA 01002-5000
(413) 542-2299